Autumn Love

Image Map

13 September 2016

Collecting Holiday Memories



I am always looking for ways to revamp and make our holiday recount writing more exciting than the standard "One the holidays I went to..." 
I have a range two freebies on TPT that shake things up for a holiday recount. (Click on the images to take you to TPT to download.)



Also on my TPT page is another way to share and writ about the holidays in a fun and engaging way. I will be sharing how this works in my classroom! This is the second time I have used this activity across two years. Both times my kids have really enjoyed the collecting, constructing, writing and sharing about their holiday!

The week leading up to holidays I send home a brown paper bag with a label glued on the front. The label explains that in the bag the child can collect ticket stubs, brochures, picture, drawings and anything else to with their holidays. It is also clear that the items in the bag will be used for an art piece.


Kids have collected shells, brochures from the museum, movie tickets, photos, drawings and leaves in their bags. 

The kids bring their bags, full of their goodies, back on the first day back after the holidays. Instead of doing a whole class show and tell session (wow, it would take hours!) the kids share their items from their bag in groups of three. 

I am a HUGE fan of collages!! I love having my kids make collages and using all sorts of materials to create a masterpiece! 
And that is exactly what the do with all our items from their bag. Yay!! 

Students cut up the items in their bag and paste them on A3 card. I also put out paper, felt and have coloured pencils and crayons for the students to draw more pictures to go along side their pieces from the bag. 


The masterpieces that the kids made were fabulous. It was wonderful to hear the buzz from all the compliments that the kids were giving each other after we completed a gallery walk! It was a proud teacher moment!

The next day and once all the kids had finished their holiday collage, we then used this as a stimulus to complete a holiday recount. I encouraged my kids to write about what was on their collage. 
We talk a lot about our writing matching our picture and our picture matching our writing. This was a great opportunity to expand my kids perception of what a 'picture' is, not just a drawn illustration, however could be a collage or art piece. 

My kids wrote wonderful and rich recounts about their holidays. 




This is an alternative way for students to engage in a holiday recount. It is very easy to set up, all you need it brown paper bags and the tags. 
The tags are available in my TPT store- click on the picture below! 


Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment